This Day in History: 1946-02-15
1946: ENIAC, the first electronic general-purpose computer, is formally dedicated at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. By the end of its operation in 1956, ENIAC contained 18,000 vacuum tubes including the 6SJ7, 6SN7, 6V6, and 6L6; 7,200 crystal diodes; 1,500 relays; 70,000 resistors; 10,000 capacitors; and approximately 5,000,000 hand-soldered joints. It weighed more than 27 tons, was roughly 8 ft. × 3 ft. × 98 ft. in size, occupied 1,800 sq. ft., and consumed 150 kW of electricity. By the mid-1990s, its functions could be performed by a tiny chip the size of a thumbnail.